What’s a perfect morning? Feeling rejuvenated after a great sleep? A delicious breakfast, maybe? Or maybe traffic free road? And what about a perfect set of teeth to start off your day?
You might think the last one doesn’t count as a necessity, but it sure is. With deteriorating oral hygiene and a stressful environment, many individuals overlook the fact that their teeth are to be maintained with utmost care. And the only way to achieve this is through a proper, thorough, brushing technique.
Commonly used incorrect technique- Apply toothpaste on the toothbrush, and start brushing haphazardly until you run out of things to think of, until your mouth becomes extremely minty and frothy, or until your thoughts make you uncomfortable or you realize that you have been brushing just too long.
Dentist advised technique:
Choosing the Right Tools
- Choosing your Toothbrush- It’s important that you identify a perfect toothbrush for yourself, as a proper tool is as important as the act itself. The dentists at DentoXpert prefer you use a soft bristled toothbrush, as it helps thoroughly clean your teeth and goes easy on your gums and enamel. Also ensure the head of the toothbrush is the perfect size for a thorough cleaning (A smaller head ensures it)
- Choosing your toothpaste- Luckily for us, we live in an age where there is a variety of toothpastes to choose from. Each and every one defines it functions, based on your needs. For sensitive teeth, for stronger gums, for whiter enamel and many more. Make sure the brands you use are well-known and reputed.
The proper technique
- The distance between the gums and the toothbrush must be maintained. It’s advisable to keep an angle of 45 degrees between them. Part of your bristle should rest on the teeth and part of it on your gums.
- Make sure you stroke your teeth with the brush gently in a circular manner.
- Begin with the visible teeth, i.e. the canines and the incisors (Front teeth), and then move to the premolars and molars.
- To clean the inner areas of the front teeth, stroke your brush vertically from top to bottom.
- Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day. That is at least two minutes twice a day. 4 minutes of your life for a healthy set of whites is a fair bargain, don’t you think?
- Make sure you change your toothbrush every two to three months or at the first signs of frayed bristles.
- Do not use normal adult toothbrushes on kids. Make sure they use toothbrushes meant for their gentle gums and teeth.
- Make sure kids use toothpastes meant for them too. It would be harmful to expose them to higher fluoride levels at such a young age.
It takes 60 days for a human being to make something a habit. So, make sure this trend stays until it’s a habit. And from then on, you will have one thing less to worry about. Go forward, towards a healthier future.
How did you like this article? Did you find it helpful or useful? Do share your comments on https://dentoxpert.com/